admin | August 4, 2023
Kari Howard loved stories that left readers feeling as though they had just met a new friend. Writers fortunate enough to work with her as their editor found themselves challenged to weave the music of everyday life and the passion of extraordinary love into the fabric of stories illuminating the most important issues of the day. Kari’s family and friends, together with the International Women’s Media Foundation, are honoured to offer grants to support the narrative journalism she championed.
Grants will be for a maximum of $5,000. Applicants may be print journalists or a print journalist leading a multimedia team. Projects reported and published in English anywhere in the world are eligible. All reporting and publishing must be completed within six months of the award of the grant.
- This opportunity is open to women and nonbinary journalists.
- Applicants may be freelance or staff print journalists and may apply individually or as part of a multi-format team.
- Professional journalism must be the applicant’s primary profession.
- Applicants must have three or more years of professional journalism experience. Internships do not count as professional experience.
- Applicants must be able to show proof of interest from an editor or have a proven track record of publication in prominent media outlets.
- Applicants must apply and publish in English.
- Any multi-format reporting must supplement a printed project.
DEADLINE: August 20, 2023, at 11:59 pm EST
Applicants will receive a decision on their applications by mid-October.
For more information, go to: IWMF Submission Manager – The Kari Howard Fund for Narrative Journalism (submittable.com)