admin | May 10, 2020
In times of crises such as COVID-19, it’s more important than ever for exceptional communication efforts to deliver well-conceived, reliable, gender-inclusive, and effective messages. In times like these, radio is a particularly effective way to disseminate critical information in a timely manner.
Farm Radio International recognizes the significant impact that radio stations across sub-Saharan Africa can have in response to community needs. However, at this time of emergency, some radio stations may experience interruptions in their broadcasts: for example, radio stations can run out of data for internet services, or fuel for their generators; equipment can break down, or a staff member can fall sick.
We are committed to supporting radio broadcasters to continue delivering critical and potentially life-saving information to listeners in their community.
We invite you to apply for the Farm Radio International Emergency Fund and collaborate with us to deliver accurate, reliable, and impactful information in response to the challenges presented by COVID-19.
If your application is successful, you will receive:
– funding between $500 CA and $2,000 CA, depending on your needs;
– support and encouragement from a local Farm Radio employee.
Your radio station must:
● Be located in one of these 10 countries: Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Mali, Malawi, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, or Uganda
● Deliver programming in a language understood by local communities
● Be legally registered in the country and be in good standing
● Have a bank account that can be accessed if the application is successful
● Agree to use the funds within an agreed period of time, including all necessary reporting and accountability
● Participate in broadcasting critical, gender-inclusive, and accurate information related to COVID-19
● Agree to make all purchases at a fair market price
● Be ready to submit a financial report on how you used those funds.
How to apply
Your application should include details about how those funds are meant to help you respond to the pandemic crisis or address a need arising as a result of the pandemic crisis. You should submit your request by filling out the application form. Please fill out the form for your country:
Burkina Faso: https://forms.gle/v7QCdkHNUTn4qKnaA
You will receive a response within one week of submission if your radio station’s application is successful. There is no guarantee of funding in any amount. Any decisions made are discretionary and final.
Please note that applications are accepted on an ongoing basis until all funds have been awarded, so please submit your application as soon as possible.