admin | July 6, 2015
At least 18 people have died of cholera in Juba in the last three weeks. Health minister Riek Gai Kok says the government will step up measures to counter the spread of the disease in South Sudan’s capital.
According to the health ministry, there have been more than 170 suspected cholera cases so far.
Tarande Manzila is the representative of the World Health Organization in South Sudan. He says cholera treatment centres have been set up at two sites in the city.
WHO and other organizations are conducting oral cholera vaccinations in vulnerable areas of Juba and in the oil hub of Bentiu in Unity state. Dr. Manzila says they are targeting more than 100,000 people in efforts to prevent a large-scale outbreak.
To read the full article, go to: http://www.trust.org/item/20150623133326-02siv/