This week’s Farmer story from Zambia highlights the potential of processing groundnuts into peanut butter. Our Script of the week is an issue pack that was designed to provide radio broadcasters with the information they need to create effective and entertaining radio programs on the post-harvest value chain for groundnuts. Activities in the post-harvest groundnut value chain include drying, plucking, shelling, grading, storing, marketing, and processing groundnuts.
This issue pack focuses on groundnuts in Malawi, but much of the information can be adapted to other sub-Saharan African countries where groundnuts are grown.
The issue pack begins with this introduction, then Section 2 presents a true story about a groundnut processor.
Section 3 presents factual background information on groundnut post-harvest activities.
In section 4, we offer some suggestions for creating programs on post-harvest activities in groundnuts.
In the final section, section 5, we list sources for further information on the post-harvest value chain for groundnuts. This includes resource organizations, online radio programs, online videos, and online documents.
You could use the information in this issue pack in several ways. For example:
- You could use the story in section 2 as a starting point for creating your own local stories. Interview groundnut processors, traders, and others.
- You can use section 3 as background information for any program on groundnuts.
- You could use the programming suggestions in section 4 as starting places for creating a program on groundnuts.
- You could contact one or more of the organizations listed in section 5 for information or for interviewing experts.
- You could use the audio and video resources and online documents in section 5 to help create programs on groundnuts.