Like this edition’s Farmer story from Ghana, our Script of the week is all about good practices for cocoa production.
Cocoa is a valuable cash crop in Ghana, which is the second largest producer of cocoa in the world. The Ghana Cocoa Board (COCOBOD) is the main body that regulates cocoa production, processing, and marketing in Ghana.
This backgrounder provides important information for cocoa farmers, including:
- The best soil for planting cocoa.
- The types of seeds to plant for a healthy and better-yielding cocoa tree.
- How to grow cocoa seedlings and transplant them to farms.
- The growing practices that result in better yields.
- How to prevent insect infestations and diseases.
- How to follow sanitary requirements that reduce disease problems and meet market demands.
- The best methods for harvesting and drying cocoa pods to satisfy market standards.