The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) has created a basic factsheet to answer common questions about HIV and AIDS.
The resource is organized by categories that readers can navigate by question. Categories include:
- the definition and symptoms of HIV and AIDS,
- facts about transmission and prevention,
- myths, and
- COVID-19 information for people living with HIV and AIDS.
Questions answered in the factsheet include:
- What is HIV?
- What is AIDS?
- What are the symptoms of HIV?
- When does a person have AIDS?
- Where is HIV found?
- How can HIV be transmitted?
- Do mosquito bites create a risk of infection with HIV?
- Can I get HIV from casual contact?
- How should people living with HIV protect themselves from the virus that causes COVID-19?
- Does UNAIDS have any specific recommendations for people living with HIV during the COVID-19 pandemic?
The resource includes informational videos and links to further reading. It is available in English, French, Russian, and Spanish.
To access the resource, visit: https://www.unaids.org/en/frequently-asked-questions-about-hiv-and-aids