UNESCO has released a useful resource for journalists and trainers working in the digital age. The rise of social media and new media has led to the wide spread of disinformation and “fake news.” This has challenged the integrity, credibility, and quality of journalism.
In this handbook, you can find strategies for how to obtain useful and credible information, while fighting against misinformation and disinformation through media and information literacy.
The seven different modules include:
– Truth, trust and journalism: Why it matters
– Thinking about information disorder: Formats of misinformation, disinformation and mal-information
– News industry transformation: Digital technology, social platforms and the spread of misinformation and disinformation
– Combatting disinformation and misinformation through media and information literacy
– Fact-checking 101
– Social media verification: Assessing sources and visual content
– Combatting online abuse: When journalists and their sources are targeted
To read the handbook: https://en.unesco.org/fightfakenews/modules