admin | May 2, 2022
This resource from UNICEF provides data and analysis on child marriages in West and Central Africa. Child marriage is still a significant issue in this region, and has adverse effects on the education, health, and overall development of adolescents and youth.
This resource provides information on:
- The scale of child marriage.
- Disparities between rich and poor in levels of child marriage.
- Trends and projections for the future.
The resource also highlights key actions required to address child marriage, including:
- Ensuring that child marriage is a national, regional, and continental priority.
- Investing in the education and health of young people, particularly young girls.
- Scaling up evidence-based models that work to address child marriage.
- Addressing population dynamics and demographics.
This resource is available in English and French. To access the full resource, go to: https://www.unicef.org/wca/reports/child-marriage-west-and-central-africa
Photo credit: Albert Gonzalez Farran, UNAMID.