Radio, print, TV, and digital journalists across Africa are invited to submit their best story or package of related stories to the third Zimeo Excellence in Media Awards. Entries are welcome in English, French, Portuguese, Arabic, and Kiswahili.
There are 12 categories:
- 1. Urban journalism: ideas and issues facing African cities
- 2. The maritime economy
- 3. Science and technology
- 4. Agriculture and food security
- 5. Peace and security
- 6. Energy and infrastructure
- 7. Extractive industries
- 8. Media and digital/data journalism
- 9. Conservation and climate change
- 10. Reporting on the Sustainable Development Goals
- 11. Animal resources and fisheries/biotechnology
- 12. African Union Agenda 2063
A panel of African judges will evaluate entries on the following criteria:
- Quality of reporting and writing, including originality, depth, accuracy, and investigative enterprise.
- Use of data and digital tools to tell the story.
- Relevance and evidence of impact.
- Where possible, a pan-African perspective.
- Multiple sources.
The deadline to apply is Sept. 22. The prizes will be awarded at a ceremony in Addis Ababa in November.
For more information about the awards, please see: http://africanmediainitiative.org/zimeo-excellence-in-media-awards/