admin | January 18, 2021
The MediaWise for Seniors course is a self-guided online course that you can take at your own pace to learn about media literacy and fact-checking. It is aimed at seniors, but the lessons are relevant to people of any age.
In the course, you will:
- Complete activities, readings, and quizzes to your practice fact-checking skills on your own time.
- Watch media literacy tutorials by veteran journalists Christiane Amanpour and Joan Lunden.
- Feel more confident finding facts on Facebook and other social media platforms.
- Help your loved ones stop the spread of misinformation online.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Spot the seven types of misinformation and explain why someone shared them.
- Verify the images and videos you encounter on the internet.
- Identify and consume online news responsibly.
- Fact-check social media posts using the tools and techniques professional fact-checkers use.
- Report false information on each social media platform.
- Operate as a good digital citizen and explain to others the pitfalls of sharing misinformation.
- Teach loved ones how to fact-check on their own.
This is a self-directed course and available on-demand. Interested people can enroll at any time and take the course at their own pace.
The cost for this course is $29.95 US.
For more information and to enroll, see https://www.poynter.org/shop/fact-checking/mediawise-for-seniors-self-directed-fact-checking-course-winter-2020/?mktsource=WTD