admin | August 16, 2021
Poynter is offering a free, self-guided online course that you can take at your own pace to learn how to spot misinformation online.
In the course, you will:
- Complete activities, readings, and quizzes to practice your fact-checking skills on your own time.
- Watch media literacy tutorials by veteran journalists like Christiane Amanpour and Joan Lunden.
- Feel more confident finding facts on Facebook and other social media platforms.
- Help your loved ones stop the spread of misinformation online.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Spot the seven types of misinformation and explain why someone shared them.
- Verify the images and videos you encounter on the internet.
- Identify and consume online news responsibly.
- Fact-check social media posts using the tools and techniques professional fact-checkers use.
- Report false information on each social media platform.
- Operate as a good digital citizen and explain to others the pitfalls of sharing misinformation.
- Teach loved ones how to fact-check on their own.
This is a self-directed course and available on-demand. Interested people can enroll at any time and take the course at their own pace.
This course is now offered free in English only.
For more information and to enroll, visit: https://www.poynter.org/shop/fact-checking/how-to-spot-misinformation-online-july-2021/